I was given a dollar store product and I was tasked to create the branding and packaging that would not only protect the product but also elevate its perceived value.
Some of the things I had to consider were:
- How will the box be displayed for the consumer? ie: Shelf, countertop, store window, etc.
- How will the box interact with multiples of itself?
- How will the consumer open and close the box?
- What kind of tabs or hinges will be utilized in the construction of the box?
- How will the logo be displayed on the box?
- Where will the UPC symbol and product description be located?
- How will the box's flat design be duplicated and positioned for printing?
- Will there be a die cut window to display the product inside?
- How will the package protect the product?
Stage 1 - Development of Brand
The first step was to build the brand and most of my colleagues thought of Italian glass but I felt that was too traditional. So I decided that I wanted to create a brand with a German background. After some research I decided to base my clients company in Lauscha, Germany, a place know for glass creation/blowing. Then I researched some German names and created my fictional client— An expert glass-maker/blower named Hubert Wissmann.
The Final Logo
Stage 2 - Design and Conceptualization of Package
First Proofs of Concepts
Stage 3 - Refining the Design
The Final Product
Print-out Flat for Production